I was speculating about what to kick
start my blog with - fashion post, something about books or an elaborate or
favorite recipe or food joint. I mechanically began preparations for the next
morning's breakfast for my brother and myself with a marathon in my mind among
the pros and cons of each new blog post possibility. As I arranged stuff for
the Oats on my kitchen shelf, I backtracked and realised I actually, already
have a prospective blog post unfurling right then there. That it could come out
of a simple and now regular Breakfast dish, is humbling and exciting all at
once.
I discovered a rather glorified version of
Overnight Oats on Huffington, sent to me by SB, who often sends me links
to all kinds of amazing food finds. After researching extensively on this
seemingly awesome way to have oats, since I could never like them in any manner
earlier, I experimented with quite a few methods off the web and by hit and
trial. To my delight, I have found that not only is preparing this yumminess
quick and easy, it is also highly customisable and super healthy to boot.
You will need –
·
A glass bowl/ jar with lid, better if microwave safe
·
Oats – I used Quaker, but I’ve read the non quick-cooking ones are
better since they are crunchier. I’ll get to them once I exhaust my bag of
Quaker, till then these have been just fine.
·
Milk – Double Toned for me. Whichever kinds you like
·
Condiments – Peanut Butter, Cocoa Powder, Protinex (optional), Instant
Coffee Powder, Sugar
·
Toppings – Almonds, Raisins, Walnuts, Apple, Banana or just any
fresh or dry fruit that you like.
Dry roast the oats and almonds. Lay in the
glass jar. Mix all the other ingredients with a bit of milk to form a thick
paste. This is the second layer. Top with milk, double the quantity of oats.
Cover and leave to rest overnight. Give it a good stir in the morning, top with fresh cut fruit and
you’re good to go.
Like I mentioned, this is a very suit
your style recipe. You can choose to roast the oats or have them as is, use honey
instead of sugar, omit coffee or chocolate and have a simple fruit and nut
variant. You could also use blanched almonds if you're not a fan of roasted.
The thickness can be adjusted too – you need almost double the amount of milk
for oats to swell overnight, but you can always top it up with more in the
morning. I like them cold in summers or at room temperature in current weather.
My brother pops the jar in the microwave to warm it up a bit.
Ideally this is refrigerated overnight, but
since New Delhi is almost freezing (brrr!) your kitchen counter would be just
perfect.
This version of Overnight Oats is a
favourite with me and my brother, for so many reasons-
1)
Oats - Obviously Oats are healthy as hell to have, especially for
weight watchers, but I have never liked the texture or taste of Oats before I
came across this method. This trick leaves them soft yet with a sufficient bite
to them (kind of like Al Dente Pasta) which doesn't make me feel like I'm
eating a soggy gloop. I know, eww, right?
2) Milk – I could give a two year old a run for his money when it comes to hatred for milk, especially ‘white’ milk. But this recipe delights my Ma since she can see me having so much healthy stuff all in one go.
3) Protein – The peanut butter and Protinex packs in a solid punch of protein which is something that you should definitely try and get a good amount of in the morning, especially when you are trying to lose weight. Protein keeps you full and reduces the urge to gorge on carbs. Not to mention, peanut butter tastes heavenly. Win Win.
4) Nuts and Fruit – Almonds and apple add crunch and texture and banana and raisins add natural sweetness. Although I hate raisins, I make it a point to add the other three to give my breakfast some dimension. Again, Ma happy!
5) Coffee. Chocolate – Best way to begin mornings, enough said.
2) Milk – I could give a two year old a run for his money when it comes to hatred for milk, especially ‘white’ milk. But this recipe delights my Ma since she can see me having so much healthy stuff all in one go.
3) Protein – The peanut butter and Protinex packs in a solid punch of protein which is something that you should definitely try and get a good amount of in the morning, especially when you are trying to lose weight. Protein keeps you full and reduces the urge to gorge on carbs. Not to mention, peanut butter tastes heavenly. Win Win.
4) Nuts and Fruit – Almonds and apple add crunch and texture and banana and raisins add natural sweetness. Although I hate raisins, I make it a point to add the other three to give my breakfast some dimension. Again, Ma happy!
5) Coffee. Chocolate – Best way to begin mornings, enough said.
The perfect Monday morning pick me up,
you can relish it even when you’re on the go. Because of course you’re running
late, it’s Monday after all!!!!



Really interesting! Will try this tonight :)
ReplyDeleteHi there! I've std having Overnight Oats for Bfast since Nov 2014 and been loving it since then! :-) Do chk out Domestic Geek on YouTube who teaches 5 yummy ways to tweak the OOats recipe...keep writing in!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Neha. I will surely check it out. Keep watching this space for more fun recipes. Lots of love.
Delete